Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Memories of My Melancholy Whores Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García Márquez


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a powerful book that explores aging and love. Here are a few quotes from the novel:

"In my ninetieth year, I decided to give myself the gift of a night of love with a young virgin."

"This was something new for me. I was ignorant of the arts of seduction and had always chosen my brides for a night at random, more for their price than their charms, and we had made love without love, half-dressed most of the time and always in the dark, so we could imagine ourselves as better than we were ... That night I discovered the improbable pleasure of contemplating the body of a sleeping woman without the urgencies of desire or the obstacles of modesty."

"It is a triumph of life that old people lose their memories of inessential things."

"We do not waste away with time; time is a tool that carves away our excess, like a chisel chips away marble to reveal a work of art."

"I have never gone to bed with a woman I didn't pay ... by the time I was fifty there were 514 women with whom I had been at least once ... My public life, on the other hand, was lacking in interest: both parents dead, a bachelor without a future, a mediocre journalist ... and a favorite of caricaturists because of my exemplary ugliness."


View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment