Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ghost Hunting in Montana

A few years ago, I bought an interesting book at a flea market. It was written by Barnaby Conrad III and it's called GHOST HUNTING IN MONTANA: A Search for Roots in the Old West.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"What is life? It is a flash of firefly in the night. It is a breath of buffalo in the winter time. It is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." -Chief Crowfoot, 1900.

"I'll tell you one thing, fishing and beer will cure most ailments."

"We must seize what adventure we can from life, for the rest is of little consequence."

"On a beautiful day in Montana, it was hard to believe God didn't exist in a sky so blue and so vast, where the clouds seemed like perfect countries into themselves. And for a moment, just a moment, I wished the pioneers, the buffalo hunters, and the cattlemen like my ancestors had never dreamed of the West."

"Sitting in the door of my tent with a tin cup full of whiskey and canteen water, I watched a three-quarter moon rise over the Rockies. As moonlight illuminated the river and the trout rose, I breathed the night deeply and felt I had every treasure in the world."

That's how I feel about Montana (and in particular, about Hungry Horse, MT). The picture above is of my family, on a camping trip there 2006. Kevin (my boyfriend of almost 6 years) and Charlie (our dog) are my best friends and soul mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment